[Openib-windows] RE: IPoIB RQ/SQ depth

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Mon Dec 5 09:19:19 PST 2005

Hi Yossi,

I don't see any reason not to change the default values.  I hadn't had a chance
to do thorough testing so had left them alone.  Note that increasing the receive
queue depth likely has a larger effect, since receive processing is more CPU
intensive.  Do you get the same performance increase if you only change the
receive queue depth?  What about just increasing the ratio of the receive buffer
pool to RQ depth so that we have more receive buffers available?  It would be
great to find the best performing settings.

> Do you think that there is resource problem here ?

I don't think there's a resource problem at all.  Increasing the send queue
depth only increases the send WQE ring, nothing else.  On the receive side, the
impact is larger as the receive buffers are pre-allocated.

For In the environments IB is deployed in there will usually be plenty of
memory.  Users can always scale the value back using the adapter parameters if
they want to conserve resources.