[Openib-windows] RE: Static MAC for Mellanox GUIDs

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Mon Dec 5 09:38:32 PST 2005

Hi Yossi,

I'm happy to see you add this feature.  Having static Ethernet MAC addresses
will help with administration, since every system's ARP tables should match.  It
also fixes issues with the automatic IP assignment which uses the MAC as the
random number seed.  Without this, systems see many IP conflicts before finding
a free IP address.

I didn't know that this could be done.  Did the GUID format change recently to
allow this?

> BTW
> The macros that get port number from adapter are valid only for SST
> cards ( where the port number is in the 3rd byte)
> Maybe we should keep the port number in the adapter structure and not
> use guid conversion.

I agree - the port number should be stored in the adapter.  I don't think it is
used other than in debug output, so perhaps we don't even need to store it.

The patch looks great and I committed it in revision 194.