[Openib-windows] OpenIB and Windows

Gilad Shainer Shainer at Mellanox.com
Tue Dec 6 09:42:37 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Baxter [mailto:paul.baxter at dsl.pipex.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:06 AM
To: openib-windows at openib.org
Subject: [Openib-windows] OpenIB and Windows

>OpenIB's web site currently states its goal is to provide a Linux stack for

>Infiniband.

[GS] OpenIB goal is to provide Linux and Windows stack.

>In the last few months I've become aware of the fledgling Windows 'port' of

>the OpenIB codebase and wondered what relationship it has with OpenIB's
>mandate.

[GS] I would not refer to it as a port. This is another code base. OpenIB
host 2 independent repositories - Linux and Windows. Of course there might
be code sharing.

>I would love to see such a port, if only to convince more people to use
>infiniband but wonder whether it will become a more public part of OpenIB's

>work e.g. on its website. Perhaps it is merely a case of not wishing to
>pre-announce something that is not yet ready for a wider audience?

[GS] Windows drivers are already ready to download. I did not check the
general OpenIB web site lately, but it should refer to Linux and Windows
on the same manner. I will check this out. Thanks.

>My understanding is that you are hoping to release a 'gen1' minimalist
>release early next year. Will this then become part of OpenIB's output and
>available under similar terms?

[GS] There is no meaning of Gen1 for Windows since there are no plans for
Gen2. We have already created a release and will continue to have future
releases. Windows is part of OpenIB output and the code is availble under
one license only - BSD.

>Perhaps someone could sketch out the plan? In particular, would it be
>possible to clarify how it will relate to the Linux codebase and
>functionality, if at all. For instance similar APIs aren't always
>appropriate but is there a mandate to maintain similar functional groupings

>even if a few parameter types need changing or will this be a radically
>different codebase.

[GS] There is no relationship to Linux. The Windows repository was created
due
to a need for the market. Windows repository contain ULPs that are also part
of the Linux repository but also ULPs that are Windows only. The work on the

Windows part is driven by Windows users, as the new ULPs that are being
added
and will be in the future.