[Openib-windows] RE: IBDM and IBMgtSim Proposal Comments

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Thu Jul 7 13:50:34 PDT 2005

The OpenIB Windows stack is IBAL.

> There is no reason the MAD and UMAD libraries couldn't be ported to
> Windows.

Is there any reason to port these when the Windows OpenIB stack already has
fully implemented and functioning user-mode MAD client support?  What's the
value in porting the API?  Is it portable with no changes so applications using
the umad interface don't have to change between Linux and Windows?

I'm guessing the diagnostics will have to change regardless of what MAD API they
interface to unless they interface to an abstraction layer that hides OS
differences.  If the diagnostics are going to change, why not just change them
to interface directly to the native MAD API for the target platform?