[Openib-windows] [RFC] changing kernel complib to be static l ibrary

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Fri Jul 15 00:08:31 PDT 2005

In the kernel, we should strive to eliminate any linkage interdependencies
between drivers.  All inter-driver communication should be performed using the
device interface methods, which do provide versioning.  If we want a complib
interface for drivers to query, we can do that.  I would prefer to see the
drivers migrate to using OS-native support where available, and slowly phase out
use of parts of complib that duplicate existing capabilities.

In user-mode, adding versioning would probably be useful, especially with
respect to the access layer.  Something similar to the WSAStartup mechanism but
without the backward compatibility baggage.  The side effects of a user-mode
application crashing are far less drastic than the kernel crashing at boot time,
so this isn't real high on the priority list.