[Openib-windows] RE: IB Diagnositic Tools

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Mon Jun 27 11:29:38 PDT 2005

Hi Hal,

> Is the OpenSM vendor layer available in Windows for OpenIB or is this
> something which needs to be developed ?
[EZ] It is available (the code was part of IBAL but needed some fixes etc).

> > Since this layer is already available on both Windows and Linux stacks
> > it could allow us to have the same code tree for both.
>
> Will the Linux distros take it this way (with #ifdef OS)
[EZ] The different implementations are already included in the OpenSM code
on the OpenIB trunk. They are not named Win/Linux but IBAL, TS. I propose we
perform some restructuring where each "vendor" has its own package and all
of them are actually made into the same "lib" name. Such that for OpenSM
build it should not make any difference which vendor it is linked with.

> Not sure exactly what you have in mind here but there is something like
> this on the TODO list. How are GUIDs and LIDs aggregated into a name ?
> Is this SystemImageGUID ?
[EZ] I mean using topology file to map discovered topology to specified
topology and thus enable the use of the user given names for the various
systems (instead of guids).

> Not sure what you mean exactly by MAD and topology manipulations layers.
> Are there different tools ? What do they provide different from the
> current OpenIB diagnostics ?
[EZ] The MAD layer provides scripting interface for sending receiving mads
of the various classes.
The analysis layers perform topology matching, LFT traversals, credit loop
analysis, MFT connectivity checks, routing hops histograms, etc.

> > If there is an interest in these tools we can provide an open version
> > of those in week or two.
>
> Will the development then be done in the OpenIB tree or will the drop
> model be used ? On the Linux side, the community desires the tools to be
> built with autotools.
[EZ] The idea is to move the current tools into OpenIB and use OpenIB as the
development environment. This includes OpenSM and the MAD layers.
All should be autotools.