[Openib-windows] IPoIB GUID to MAC conversion

Dror Goldenberg gdror at mellanox.co.il
Sat May 28 13:11:50 PDT 2005

It is not IB routable because you lose the routing (GID) information.

Imagine 2 nodes behind an IB router talking to you. And let's assume that
they use same QP number (because the drivers there are identical and they
just came out of reset). They will end up having the same MAC address in
your code too: same QPN, same LID/SL (the IB router LID/SL). You just
lost the fact that they are behind an IB  router and that they need to use
a GRH to be able to talk.
When the OS hands you a packet for transmission, you can't really tell
to whom to send it to... you need to be able to guess the GID.