[Openib-windows] RE: tools support

Leonid Keller leonid at mellanox.co.il
Tue Sep 13 11:56:19 PDT 2005

[LK] Because user tools may have very complicate logic of how to work with
device.
[it also answers on your below question]
We are not going to expose this interface, but we need to provide effective
tools.
'flint' is only one example of a tool.

> > The latter way is not suppported now and i'm going to
> implement it by
> > adding a new vendor call of subtype MAP_CRSPACE (0x0a),
> which will perform
> > the mapping and return a virtual address to the application.
> > What do you think about it ?
>
> I'm weary of exposing configuration space to applications
> without restricting
> their use.  I would rather see use of the direct CR space
> access by the kernel
> driver - this allows the driver to enforce policy on what can
> and can't be
> written to the CR space.
>
> > Another requirement - support of "live fishes" (flash
> burner devices).
> > Any our device can be jumpered to work without CR-space in
> case when it
> > has an invalid (or doesn't have at all) FW on it. In that
> case it has
> > device_id greater by one than its original one (e.g. 23109
> - for Tavor).
> > The burning is performed by configuration cycles.
> > How would you suggest to add support for those devices ?
>
> When an HCA registers itself, IBAL creates a CA object to
> represent that device.
> For the driver to support the "live fish" mode, it would
> simply report itself as
> an HCA with no support for any resources except protection
> domains.  The
> protection domain creation simply returns success (but is a
> noop internally),
> and all other resource creation verbs return failure.  This
> will prevent the
> SMI/GSI from loading, but will allow the HCA to be available
> for use, which
> means user-mode processes can see it.  Once user-mode
> processes can see the
> device, the HCA FW update tool should be able to work without issue.

[LK] Is there an issue with GUID ?
HCA driver uses GUID as an identifier of the card.
It can't find out it in this case.