[Openib-windows] RE: Reference count as a solution to the pro blemof an object life time

Tzachi Dar tzachid at mellanox.co.il
Wed Sep 21 13:22:38 PDT 2005

1) This seems error prone to me.  If you no longer want an object and
decrement its reference count, you could very well destroy the associated
context.
This is exactly the point: you want an object keep a pointer to it and have
a reference, you don't want an object, remove the reference and get rid of
the pointer.
> Getting a callback after this is likely to crash.
No way, the one who is calling the callback should be having a reference,
other wise he can't make the call.
> This model seems to increase the complexity for a ULP.  How can a ULP
unload?
This is indeed a point that should be solved and I have a solution for it, I
just don't want to make things too complicated. Believe me that there is a
solution that doesn't require a complete change of the model. (We can talk
about it in a different thread if anyone wants).
 How can it signal the CM that it will no longer be around to receive a
callback?
An app that allocates an object can't simply forget about it.  Using this
method, the creator of the object will never know if a callback will occur
for some past created object, so can never cleanup anything associated with
the object.
The creator of the object doesn't have to know when the object is destroyed;
it just has to know that it will be destroyed. The object will clean all
it's resources once the object is cleared from memory.