[Openib-windows] System reboot testing

Jan Bottorff jbottorff at xsigo.com
Thu Apr 27 02:24:06 PDT 2006

Hi,

I was doing some testing on build 330, and see the assert on system
shutdown is still there. Would one of you folks doing development like
my script that reboots a remote machine every 7 minutes? This was a
32-bit debug build running on W2K3 SP1 full checked. It offhand looked
like the IB stack received a power shutdown irp while there were still
open references to objects. It might be an ordering issue of delivery of
power irps. It seems to take 20 reboots on my test system to hit this,
which is a bit better than in the older release we are using (which I've
never seen reboot more than about 10 times without getting stuck).

I'm told by Microsoft to be prepared for drivers in different PnP
hierarchies to at times be shut down in parallel in multiple threads and
at times to only have a single system wide thread doing the shutdown. I
believe there is code in the IB drivers that causes the power irp thread
to block if there are outstanding references, on the assumption some
other thread will release those references. In the case of only a single
thread, or the case the IB driver happens to be assigned to the same
thread as the driver that has the references, the strategy of waiting
for the references to go away will not be effective. Setting a system to
single processor mode might help reproduce this as may the checked OS. I
suspect the real root cause is the IBAL driver being root enumerated
means there is no shutdown power irp ordering between it and the HCA
driver stack.

- Jan