[Openib-windows] NFS performance and general disk network export advice (Linux-Windows)

Paul Baxter paul.baxter at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 9 12:17:36 PST 2006

I'm looking to export a filesystem from each of four linux 64bit boxes to a
single Windows server 2003 64bit Ed.

Has anyone achieved this already using an IB transport? Can I use NFS over
IPoIB cross platform? i.e. do both ends support a solution?

Is NFS over RDMA compatible with Windows (pretty sure the answer is no to
this one but love to be proven wrong). I've attached Tom's announcement of
the latest to the bottom of this email. I don't think Windows has the RDMA
abstraction (yet)?

Are windows IB drivers (Openib or Mellanox) compatible with these options?
Do I layer Windows services for Unix on top of the Windows IB drivers and
IPoIB to achieve a cross platform NFS?

Has anyone done much in the way of NFS performance comparisons of NFS over
IPoIB in cross-platform situations vs say Gigabit ethernet. Does it work :)
What is large file throughput and processor loading - I'm aiming for 150-200
MB/s on large files on 4x SDR IB (possibly DDR if we can fit the bigger 144
port switch chassis into our rack layout for 50-ish nodes).

Are there any alternatives to using NFS that may be better and that would
'transparently' receive a performance boost with IB compared with using a
simple NFS/gigabit ethernet solution. Must be fairly straightforward,
ideally application neutral (configure a drive and load/unload script for
Linux and it just happens) and compatible between Win2003 and Linux?
Alternatives using perhaps Samba on the Linux side?

My lack of knowledge of IB in the windows world has got me concerned over
whether this is actually achievable (easily).

I hope to be trying this once we get a Windows 2003 machine, but hope
someone can encourage me that its a breeze prior to my coming unstuck in a
month or so!

Some detail about the bit I do understand:

I will be using a patched Linux kernel (realtime preemption patches ) but
prefer not to apply/track too many kernel patches as the kernel evolves. The
NFS patches suggested by Tom in his announcement below make me a little
nervous.

The application will alternate between a real-time mode with (probably) no
NFS (or similar network exporting of the disk) and an archiving mode where
Linux will load relevant network filesystem modules and let the windows
machine read the disks.

The reason for this odd load/unload behaviour is because our current
experience with NFS has been that the driver is prone to putting
multi-millisecond glitches that have a habit of upsetting (soft) real-time
behaviour at the sorts of timing latencies we're looking at (milliseond or
two). NFS (and network cards) do like to batch up work and then run these
from interrupt contexts. SoftIRQs help tremendously but don't seem to be the
complete answer.

Paul Baxter

Tom's announcement: