[openib-general] RE: [Openib-windows] NFS performance and general disk network export advice (Linux-Windows)

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Fri Feb 10 11:12:33 PST 2006

Hi Tom,

> Fab:
>
> As you point out, we've been focused on the main trunk and or target
> test platforms are Linux based. That said, we actually had Beta versions
> of NDIS and Winsock Direct drivers for the AMSO adapter, so we know this
> works and we know where the dead are buried.
>
> It probably makes sense to wait until the core iWARP support is merged
> into the main trunk. however, when/if you decide to merge up from the
> main trunk and pick up iWARP support, I am more than happy to help you
> with any issues that you may have.

I think you misunderstood what I meant - I think it makes sense to have
functionality like the CMA in Windows as that provides applications with a
valuable service (using IP addressing to establish IB connections).  I don't
have any plans to merge in iWarp support though, as I don't understand what the
iWarp community's requirements are and haven't followed the discussions very
closely.  There is no policy or plan for merging code from Linux to Windows.

Lastly, with the Microsoft RDMA and TCP chimney designs, I don't know if it
makes sense for iWarp to layer into the IB framework rather than into the OS
provided one.

If there is to be iWarp support in OpenIB Windows, I expect iWarp vendors to
drive that effort.

Hopefully this clears things up.