[Openib-windows] A major patch

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Wed Jun 7 14:17:30 PDT 2006

Hi Leo,

On 6/6/06, Leonid Keller <leonid at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> Hi Fab,
>     I've sync'ed our repository with Openib, because of a lot of changes,
> accumulated.
> Some of the patches were intersecting with changes, introducing for FMR
> support, so i've added also the FMR patch.

I wish you wouldn't have, but so be it.  In the future, please back
out the stuff that isn't critical.  We're trying to stablize the stack
for WHQL now, and adding new features like FMR should not take
priority over other bugs, like support for mixed rate fabrics.  I
would much rather have seen support for CQ resize than FMR, as that is
actually used by WSD.

Perhaps your internal development for new features should happen on
branches so that the new features can be incorporated at the
appropriate time without creating interdependencies with bug fixes.

> I'm waiting for you comments to the changes in IBAL in FMR patch, if any.

The code looks good, thanks.  There are minor formatting issues that
I'll go through and fix.

Note that I am going to rename the functions from ib_xxx_fmr to
mlnx_xxx_fmr, because we're not dealing with IB standard FRM support,
and when we do it will just create confusion.  It needs to be clear
that FMR support as you implemented it is really a vendor specific
extension to work around memory registration performance problems, not
a IB spec standard verb.

> Here are the comment to the sync, i've performed:
>

> [MTHCA, IBAL]
>
>     added FMR support;
>
> [MTHCA]
>
>     1. fixed (and now works) "livefish" support;
>
>     2. fixed (and now works) multiple HCA support;
>
>     3. support of work of 32-bit tools with 64-bit kernel;
>
>     4. support *bad_wr parameter in post/recv verbs as optional;
>
>     5. make the wait on a command completion alertable for user processes;

What happens when an operation wakes up due to an alert?  I assume you
then resume the wait?