[Openib-windows] post send request in invalid QP state

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Thu Mar 9 10:11:43 PST 2006

Hi Yossi,

On 3/9/06, Yossi Leybovich <sleybo at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> Fab
>
> In the documentation of IBAL its states , that if one post WQ to QP that is
> not in valid state (RTR)  it should get IB_INVALID_QP_STATE.
> If you want to check qp state you need to issue query_qp and still you  have
> race with the wire ( like RTR that move to RTS or RTS that move to ERR)
> The only state that may generate this error is RESET which is not creating
> CQE, all other state return CQE with error so let the user check the CQE.
>
> Our new implementation of mthca skip the QP state checkin ( like gen2) and
> relay on the CQE.
> Can we change the documentation of the verb and remove this return value ?
> or state that its for RESET state?

Can we track the reset state in SW, without having to do the query_qp
call?  If so, we should keep the error for the reset case only.
Having the error reported via a CQE is fine for all other cases, and
we certainly want to avoid the overhead of the query.

If we remove the value, what is the behavior of a post operation when
the QP is in the reset state?  If it fails silently but the post call
succeeded, we have a problem.  A simple flag would solve the problem.
Heck, even an assertion in debug builds during post would be fine, so
that we don't have the overhead on a release build.