[Openib-windows] post_send/post_recv return values

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Mon Mar 13 12:47:38 PST 2006

On 3/13/06, Tzachi Dar <tzachid at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> > If we transition some of these to assertions, we need to make
> > sure to have runtime checks in the proxy or we'll have a
> > security vulnerability.
>
> Please note that checking in the user mode is not enough. Even if we do
> perfect work there people can still change our code and attack the
> kernel. Therefor, the proxy must be secured in any case.

That was exactly my point - if we take the checks out of the HCA
driver, they can't be eliminated - they have to be relocated (to the
proxy).  Currently, the proxy doesn't have to check if a work request
exceeds the limits of a QP (the proxy doesn't have that information),
so adding these checks in the proxy would actually complicate things.

However, this is something that I think we should do in version 2, and
the definitions of the QP structure (to expose its settings) would
facilitate that.