[Openib-windows] MTHCA: FW update paths

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Fri Mar 31 13:29:51 PST 2006

Hi Leo,

Now that we have safe CR space mappings into user space, I have a couple of
questions.

Should we eliminate the CR space access through configuration cycles?  There's
an issue in that code wherein the PCI bus interface reference is not properly
released if the user-mode application exits abnormally.

Should a single application be allowed to map the CR space multiple times?  The
code currently does, but I don't know if it makes any sense.  What would be a
usage mode of doing so?

Should multiple applications be allowed to map the CR space simultaneously?
This opens up the possibility for multiple users (in different remote desktop
sessions) to attempt to update the firmware at the same time, which seems like a
flaw.

I'll code up patches for these if you think it makes sense to change them.

Lastly, (and I know you're not the maintainer), the flint usage output isn't
very helpful - I had to go look at the code to find out how to open a device.
The usage output seems targeted at Linux (based on the device names).  The
output of the query command also is not so friendly.  Could the query output be
changed to match that of the hcafwupdate tool when used with the -j option?
Right now the flint tool seems like a very very low level tool, and I fear that
it could result in issues with failed firmware updates, not to mention
frustration in how to run it.  Also, a way to correlate the device names used to
the devices themselves would be great.