[Openib-windows] PreFast on sources

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Wed May 10 17:01:21 PDT 2006

Hi Jan,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - I've been swamped.

On 4/28/06, Jan Bottorff <jbottorff at xsigo.com> wrote:

> I noticed that running prefast on the 330 sources gives many syntax errors
> and reports what offhand look like real bugs. I get the impression you don't
> use prefast?

I have used prefast in the past and looked at the reports related to
components I maintain.  It looks like PreFAST doesn't like the ULL
suffix, and requires Ui64 instead.  It's odd that the build utility
work with ULL, but prefast not.  The ULL suffix was added about a year
ago based on file revision history.

Anyhow, I've committed in revision 337 fixes to the IBAL and Complib
sources to make prefast happier.  There is one warning left in Complib
related to the wait object assuming the requestor mode is always
user-mode, but that's not a big deal - the proxy interface should only
be used by user-mode processes, and use of the interface by kernel
clients is not supported.

> I've personally found prefast to be an invaluable tool for automatically
> finding bugs. Since your code is all C, you might be able to run static
> verifier on it too.

I haven't had a chance to run SDV on the source - I remember being
very interested when Microsoft first presented SDV a few Driver
DevCon's ago, but at the time it was still an internal-only tool (what
a tease!)

I have to agree with you though that Microsoft puts forth some really
nice tools to help in driver development.