[ofw] RE: Preliminary/rough drafts for OpenFabrics Windows Release Notes & Manual

Erez Cohen erezc at mellanox.co.il
Sun Apr 1 05:19:42 PDT 2007

Stan, very good start. We checked this documents into SVN under docs
dir.

 Few comments:

Release notes:
- Operating system: Change from "Windows Server 3000' to "Windows Server
2003" and the same for the CCE version
- Supported Switches: We need first an OK from the OEM list that it was
tested. I'm not sure Cisco will participate as they have their own Win
stack.
- Installation Specifics: opensm can be run as a service, this is the
recommended way to run it.
- Custom install: MTHCA can not be an optional component. In general, we
strongly recommend using the MTHCA only. Mt23108 is obsolete and should
not be used therefore should not be mentioned in the release notes.

Manual:
- Overview: Change Infinihost driver to mthca
- OSM: Again, osm will be used mostly as service, need to add this
option. From WinIB (mellanox distribution) release notes:

5. OpenSM
---------
OpenSM is an InfiniBand Subnet Manager. For WinIB to operate, OpenSM
must be
running on at least one host machine in the InfiniBand cluster.

OpenSM can be run as a windows service (starts automatically during
boot) or
manually. OpenSM is installed under <installation_directory>\tools.

Please configure at least one machine to start the service
automatically:
- Right click on "My computer" and choose manage
- Go to "Services and Applications" and choose Services
- Right click "OpenSM" and choose Properties
- Change "Startup type" to Automatic
- Change service to start mode.

Note: OpenSM as service will use the first port which is not in "down"
state.

To run OpenSM manually enter on the command line: opensm.exe
For additional run options, enter: opensm.exe -h

Note: For long term running, please avoid using the '-v' (verbosity)
option to
avoid exceeding disk quota.

Best regards,

Erez Cohen