[ofw] enable/disable device changes IPoIB physical address??

Jeremy Enos jenos at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 1 13:16:22 PDT 2007

Hi-
We're attempting to create some automated scripts to change IP settings
w/ IPoIB adapters, and running into some strange issues.  Thus far,
we've been trying to identify the correct NIC/port by the physical
address, which seems to be the same on all hosts.  This is fine, as we
were looking for a reliable way to identify the port each time.
However, it's *not* reliable.  For some reason, disabling and
re-enabling the device actually changes the physical address that
ipconfig reports each time.  Only a reboot of the host resets it to the
initial address (02-00-00-00-00-01).  We're also guessing that the phys
addy that gets assigned on each re-enabling of the device is based on
some timestamp, as the disparity between them increases when there is
more time between the re-enabling.  Why is this address ever changing in
the first place?

Environment:
OS: Win2003 x64
HCA:  MT25208

Another explanation I'm seeking is why setting static IP info via the
GUI doesn't seem to take.  No errors when I hit "Ok", but when I go back
to the tcp/ip settings again, it's all reset to dhcp.  Even when command
line utilities like netsh are used to change the IP from the cmd line,
the GUI does not reflect it.  Anyone else see this?

thx-

    Jeremy Enos
    NCSA