[ofw] enable/disable device changes IPoIB physical address??

Tzachi Dar tzachid at mellanox.co.il
Wed Aug 1 13:54:54 PDT 2007

Hi Jeremy,

I'll try to give you some background about the problem you see, and the
best way that I can see of how to solve it:

The main issue starts from the fact that IPOIB is trying to make windows
believe it is an Ethernet device. One of the differences between the two
systems (Ethernet and IB) is that on Ethernet each port is identified
using a 6 bytes Mac while on IB each port is identified with 16 bytes
GUID.
The WinIB stack supports two ways to solve this problem:
The first is use some counter (starting at 2-0-0-0-0-0-1 and growing)
that is being used to report the address to windows. This is the method
that you are using and it should work although it has some problems.
The preferred way is to create a one to one mapping between the 16 bytes
of the guids and the 6 bytes of the MAC. Although this seems impossible,
it is possible since the 16 bytes numbers come in  different series,
which means that there is only a limited number of Guids that can be
seen.
So, if the code in WinIB will recognize the cards that you have as cards
that belong to some predefined series your problem will be over.
Mellanox, Voltaire and Silver-Storm have tried to make sure that their
cards will have a one to one mapping. And I  suggest that you will do
the same.

So, there are two questions that I would need to know in order to help
more:
1) who is the manufacture of your cards?
2) what are the guids that you are using? (you can use vstat to get the
physical guids).