[ofw] enable/disable device changes IPoIB physical address??

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Wed Aug 1 14:52:29 PDT 2007

Jeremy Enos wrote:
> Hi-
> We're attempting to create some automated scripts to change IP
> settings w/ IPoIB adapters, and running into some strange issues.
> Thus far, we've been trying to identify the correct NIC/port by the
> physical address, which seems to be the same on all hosts.

Ipconfig/all for those Local Area Connections associated with IPoIB,
appears to report the low order bytes of the HCA port GUID as the
physical address. GUID's are burned in hardware, I believe you have to
perform exceptional magic to get them to change?

How could the physical address be the 'same' on all hosts and IPoIB
still work?

> fine, as we were looking for a reliable way to identify the port each
> time. However, it's *not* reliable.  For some reason, disabling and
> re-enabling the device actually changes the physical address that
> ipconfig reports each time.  Only a reboot of the host resets it to
> the initial address (02-00-00-00-00-01).  We're also guessing that
> the phys addy that gets assigned on each re-enabling of the device is
> based on some timestamp, as the disparity between them increases when
> there is more time between the re-enabling.  Why is this address ever
> changing in the first place?

What HCA firmware rev are you running? System event log will contain
entries marked mthca; resultant from loading the HCA driver. Usually the
2nd mthca entry will contain the Firmware revision. Rev 4.7 or greater
required for MT25208.

> Environment:
> OS: Win2003 x64
> HCA:  MT25208
>
> Another explanation I'm seeking is why setting static IP info via the
> GUI doesn't seem to take.  No errors when I hit "Ok", but when I go
> back to the tcp/ip settings again, it's all reset to dhcp.  Even when
> command line utilities like netsh are used to change the IP from the
> cmd line, the GUI does not reflect it.  Anyone else see this?

Setting a static IP address via TCP/IP properties or netsh both work
fine and stick for Win2K3/SP1.
Possibly another agent resetting the IP address?

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection 3" static
10.10.4.200 255.255.255.0
netsh interface ip show address "Local Area Connection 3"

Select Local Area Connection X (x=active IPoIB connection), right-click
select status. What does it report w.r.t. addressing type? Should report
'manually configured'.

Stan.