[ofw] uDAT calling convention changes - how bad does this hurt?

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Wed Aug 15 16:21:06 PDT 2007

Sadly it has come to my attention that the openib-windows DAT header
files are out of sync with the DAT consortium 1.1 header files.
Specifically in the arena of API calling convention differences which
induce incompatibilities when building applications using DAT consortium
header files with openib-windows libraries. Yes I realize this is less
than desirable personal hygiene but nonetheless, it should work.

The difference is the openib-windows DAT api prototypes are defined as
__stdcall where the DAT consortium DAT api prototypes are default
Windows C/C++ compiler calling convention __cdecl.

In order to straighten this out, I'm proposing the openib-windows DAT
api definitions change to be the default MS compiler calling convention
(__cdecl).

Bottom line - running a current DAT application with new DAT/DAPL
libraries may not work without a recompile of your application.

How many folks can not live with this change?

Stan.