[ofw] Windows Update and IB stack versions

Jan Bottorff jbottorff at xsigo.com
Tue Aug 21 19:29:58 PDT 2007

I see the WHQL signed IPoIB drivers are on Windows Update now. This
brings to light a problem in the IB stack.

The issue is the PnP hardware id's generated by the IB bus for virtual
devices are not version specific. This means if I install the latest IB
stack build, Windows Update will still offer to update my IPoIB drivers,
even though they probably would be incompatible with the other IB stack
components. The WHQL drivers are approximately build 614, and I know the
IBAL interface has new functions and a new version number in the current
build. There is absolutely nothing to tell Windows Update that drivers
for PnP hardware id "IBA\IPoIB" in version 614 of the IB stack will not
work on a stack looking for say the 758 build of the PnP hardware id
"IBA\IPoIB".

It seems like some version number and optionally a vendor unique id
needs to be part of all the PnP id's generated, to assure updates only
happen between compatible components.

Jan