[ofw] Windows Update and IB stack versions

Jan Bottorff jbottorff at xsigo.com
Fri Aug 24 03:43:40 PDT 2007

Hi,

As far as I can tell, Windows Update should offer mthca and probably the
IB bus driver (although at the moment they don't seem to show up). It
basically matches on PnP id and driver date. The if PnP is the same as
what's installed, and the WU driver date is newer, WU offers it as an
update. The paper at
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/maintain/WU_logic.mspx explains the logic.

Windows Update I don't believe will force a driver update on you, but it
does offer it if you select custom (which I always do just see what MSFT
thinks they should do to my system before they do it). Some users will
just periodically install whatever has been updated (good for security
patches, bad in this driver case).

Jan