[ofw] RE: Windows Server 2008 (x64) mthca install via DPINST.EXE

Jan Bottorff jbottorff at xsigo.com
Wed Dec 12 17:44:25 PST 2007

> 1) Install the mthca (no co-installer) - should be trivial.
> 2) Create a stand alone program that will create the node of the Ibbus.
> 3) Install the bus driver.

This would be bad for installing the OS into a clean fabric attached disk (like you can with FC adapters). You MUST get the hca/ibbus/system disk driver (srp or other) to all install ONLY from the inf.

Actually, the current coinstaller based strategy I believe may already be problematic, since you need the ibbus to come up BEFORE any user mode code runs.

We are currently installing the OS on a local SATA disk and adding the IB drivers (plus our drivers), and then imaging the volume. We then write that image to a fabric disk using a PXE booted Windows PE 2.0. We can then boot that fabric disk using boot bios code we have for the hca. It would be nice to just run an unattended (or not) install (while running something like Windows PE) that installs directly to a fabric disk.