[ofw] WinOF 1.0 RC2, available for test.

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Mon May 21 08:58:30 PDT 2007

Fab Tillier wrote:
> The DAPL DLLs should probably be put in their own directory, and the
> path modified so that DAPL applications can pick them up.  This makes
> it a lot easier to keep multiple versions side-by-side as they don't
> get picked up out of the system directory - a simple path change lets
> you pick up different versions.

>From a developers point-of-view I do not disagree with you on the
location of DAPL DLLs.

>From an end-user perspective, how many times will the situation arises
that multiple DAPL DLL versions with the same name will arise?

The thinking was the more visible the modification the easier it is to
undo; seems more highly visible to have DLLs in %WINDIR% as opposed to
modifying the system path definition file whose location/name may not be
common knowledge to end-users?

Within the Windows world, is it more 'common' to modify a system wide
path definition or place DLLs in %WINDIR%?

BTW, where/what is the system path definition file which needs to be
modified to point at DAPL DLLs?
Is there a standard interface to add/remove a specific path callable
from Wscript env?

The more I think/write about this the more I'm starting to believe that
the DAPL DLLs should just be in \Program Files\WinOF with no system-wide
path modifications.

Upside:
  No system pollution, WinOF installation is overtly bounded.

Downside:
  Dat.conf and MPI invocation (mpiexec.exe) DLL file specification
becomes awkward as the <space> in 'Program Files' forces the DAT.conf
and mpiexec.exe specification of the DLL path to be quoted, which then
forces '\' to be escaped.
Hence the path %WINDIR%\dapl.dll becomes "C:\\Program
Files\\WinOF\\dapl.dll" due to dat.conf parsing.
Well maybe the PATH modification isn't so bad...

It's Monday before my 2nd cup of coffee...let me know about the system
default PATH modification interfaces.

Stan.

Stan.