[ofw] WinOF 1.0 RC2, available for test.

Erez Cohen erezc at mellanox.co.il
Mon May 21 10:59:53 PDT 2007

Hi Stan,

Some comments:

>> 	- In custom installation, core should be a pre-request for all
>> components. In the way it is implemented, it can be removed.

>Custom is indeed 'custom' - you get what you ask for. If you prefere, I
will make the Core manditory.
>Do you feel IPoIB is custom or manditory?

I agree that "custom is custom", the thing is that you can not do
ANYTHING with out the core, maybe only open documents... I think it will
be a source for usage errors. Think of the not so experienced user, he
may like to have a minimal installation to run MPI, so he will
mistakenly chose DAPL and that's it.
I strongly feel that we must enforce the dependencies in the installer.
As core is a prerequisite for all the other components I think it must
be installed. About IPoIB, WSD use some services from IPoIB therefore
IPoIB must be installed if one check WSD, even if not explicitly chosen.
Aging, I'm not sure if DAPL needs IPoIB.

I don't know how complex is to implement this dependencies. If it is not
simple I would just make core and IPoIB mandatory.

>> 	- Uninstall does not work from start -> OpenFabrics -> uninstall

>Odd, works for me on Win2k3? Was this an XP story?

Yes, it is XP. Sorry I forgot to mention.

>> 	- I think SM as a service should be install, not started in
typical
>> installation.

>Here we simply disagree. I strongly believe SM should NOT be a default
install because typically you only install one SM.
>In a cluster environment you end up with an SM on every node, hence
forcing a 'custom' install on all node except one; flip-side is one
custom install.
>OFED does not auto magically install a running SM on all nodes.

I'm not sure I explained my self correctly. I think the SM should be
installed as a service but should NOT be set to start automatically.
This way, you can set one or more machines in the cluster to start the
service automatically after the cluster was installed, you can change
the machine running SM by simple configuration (as all machines have the
service in MANUAL mode) without the need to install a service.
As far as I know OFED does install SM on the nodes and add it to
/etc/init.d but will not set it to run on boot unless configured.

Best regards,

Erez Cohen
Field Application
Development Manager