[ofw] WDK build environment migration thoughts

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Apr 8 11:13:15 PDT 2008

>  I strongly believe it would help the WinOF community in transitioning
>to the WDK build environment if the connectX branch
>(svn:gen1\branches\ConnectX) was used as a WDK build environment staging
>grounds prior to merging the WDK modifications into the mainline trunk.
>This has been talked about before although it still (as of last Friday)
>does not build using the latest WDK version.

The main issue that I see supporting a mixed DDK and WDK build environment is
that you need to change into multiple directories before building.  I would
think a simple batch file could be used to select the correct sub-directory
before issuing the build command.

For example, once you convert driver X to WDK, you remove its directory from the
parent dirs file.  This removes it from the DDK build.  Then add its directory
into a batch file (say etc\wdkbuild.bat) that can be invoked for building.  Once
all drivers have been converted, we fix-up the dirs files and remove the
wdkbuild.bat file.

Supporting a mixed environment shouldn't be a huge issue.  I would rather see
drivers merged into the trunk sooner.  Otherwise, we end up replacing all of the
drivers in the trunk in one swoop.