[ofw] WDK build environment migration thoughts

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Wed Apr 30 10:40:55 PDT 2008

Once we confirm that building in the WDK works, is there any reason to keep
supporting the DDK?  I would expect support for the DDK should only be required
while some components don't build under the WDK.

I say absolutely not.  Supporting the DDK means another at least another dozen
builds that must all be tested.

It sounds like the __ptr64 patch failed to meet its objective if 32/64 support
is broken.  Just deleting the __ptr64 attribute would have accomplished the same
end result and been 'cleaner'.

I agree.

Also, in the future please make patches more digestible - there's no reason
ConnectX bug fixes should have been part of this - they should have been a
separate check in.  Having so many changes intermingled, while easier for you to
publish, makes it *much* harder to digest.  Likewise, the __ptr64 change should
have been done independently of the WDK changes (especially since it introduced
a regression).  Your patch touched 3500+ lines of code.

Just because SVN completely sucks for patch management doesn't mean that we need
to make patch blob check-ins standard practice.  We really need to look at
alternative tools for Windows that make this easier for developers.  Wasn't
Mellanox testing git internally?  What about bitkeeper, is that any better?