[ofw] ***SPAM*** IPoIB, BoIB and SRP in Windows XP

Miki Shapiro mikishapiro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 01:09:33 PDT 2008

Hi all

Trying to boot XP off a ramdisk on a RehHat 5.2-64bit linux machine at the
other end of two Mellanox 16Gb cards and a cable.

Using Etherboot, Gig Ethernet and AoE, this works.

The entire Mellanox Windows driver suite is installed, I have an IPoIB NIC,
and I get ~70MB/sec transfer rates if I force the MTU to 1500 (and nada if I
leave it at 2044).

My 2.5 questions -
1. Can someone give me a short shopping-list for what bits of software I
need to get windows to boot off SRP? From my understanding, that'd be a
secondary bootloader that gets pulled in by gPXE/Etherboot on the IB (or
even Ethernet) adapter that makes INT13 devices out of SRP targets in a way
useable to windows, then the SRP drivers set to a very early start using
HKLM/Services/<driver>/Start=0 or thereabouts. SRP would be very nice. I was
hoping to hit 600-800MB/sec transfer rates with my rig.

2. My DHCP server on the linux side of things (RH5.2-64bit) doesn't respond
to dhcp requests (neither from the windows client, nor from the Etherboot
one). tcpdump shows the requests make it just fine, just never replied to.
I've attempted with the RH-provided isc-dhcp-3.0.5, then vanilla 3.0.7,
3.1.1rc1 (the one mellanox doco says is tested), 3.1.1, 4.0 and
4.1.<latest>, all but the 4.x in both patched (as per dhcp.patch on the OFED
CD), and unpatched forms. Nada.
This should have been enough to hand out an address (it isn't).
        host winIB {
                option dhcp-client-identifier =
20:00:55:04:01:fe:80:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:02:c9:02:00:22:d3:a5;
                next-server 192.168.0.1;
                fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
                }

2.5. Other than iSCSI/IPoIB, AoE/IPoIB and SRP, are there any other ways to
go about doing this? A Windows RDMA implementation? (or a Windows booted off
NFS one..)? Can SDP be used? An IB version of HyperSCSI..(actually, that'd
pretty much be SRP...). Any other creative thinking anyone can throw in?