[ofw] Expose a vendor defined device in ibbus?

James Yang jyang at xsigo.com
Mon Dec 15 10:55:59 PST 2008

Hi,

I need to have IB drivers expose a new device for us. The device could
be similar to IPoIB or IOU device, it may have device id IBA\vendorx. My
question is what is the best way to achieve this? One easy way I can
think of is to modify IBBUS driver and expose a new device similar to
IPoIB, I can read registry key and decide if I need to expose this new
device or not. The default is to turn this new device cap off so that it
will not have any impact or current code.

Is there any other better way to achieve this? Without modifying current
IB stack code, is it possible to create a user defined IB device, such
as through Subnet Manager etc? How does IOU device get notification and
thus create PDO?

If there is no better/straightforward way to add a new IB device, I will
submit a patch to add a new user defined IB device through registry key.

Please provide your opinion.

Thanks,
James