[ofw] what's up with the OFA Windows project?

Fab Tillier ftillier at windows.microsoft.com
Wed Feb 6 09:44:17 PST 2008

Hi Frank,

The fact that the Windows and Linux stacks treat the rkey differently in the SW should not affect wire interop.  In the Windows stack, any values that end up on the wire (like the RKEY in the RDMA header) are always expressed in network order.  They're tokens anyhow and swapping them isn't optimal - you end up with the HCA driver swapping it when returning it to the user, just so the user can swap it to put it on the wire, so that the recipient can swap it back to host order, just to have the HCA driver swap it back to network order when performing the RDMA operation.

So on the Linux side, applications have to swap the rkey and treat it as a host-order value.  On the Windows side they don't.  Can you elaborate on what prevents clean RDMA interop between Linux and Windows?

-Fab