[ofw] Porting OFA stack to WDK

Leonid Keller leonid at mellanox.co.il
Wed Feb 13 11:30:36 PST 2008

see below

________________________________

	From: Smith, Stan [mailto:stan.smith at intel.com]
	Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:43 PM
	To: Leonid Keller; ofw at lists.openfabrics.org
	Cc: Alex Naslednikov
	Subject: RE: [ofw] Porting OFA stack to WDK

	Am I to understand you will repair 'all' occurrences __ptr64
usage?
	[Leonid Keller] We are going to leave this attribute only in
Ioctl structures and cast apprpriately.

	Am I to understand the usage of the PtrToPtr64() function for
the assignment of __ptr64 Ioctl fields (only in user space)
	will function correctly when built using the 'current' DDK build
environment?
	[Leonid Keller] We hope so.

	The point being the 'current' build environment will not be
impacted by the removal of __ptr64 and therefore the switch to
	the WDK build environment can be handled separately as it's a
connectX issue?
	[Leonid Keller] This change will be performed in the current
stack and should have no impact on it.
	It is the first step in transition to work in new (WDK)
environment.
	We want to make all the way till new release, because ConnectX
is implement in WDF style.

	BTW, what is it about connectX that requires the WDK
environment?
	[Leonid Keller] Nothing, really. But WDF drivers are more robust
and maintainable.
	New WDK environment provides more tools for all the stages of
driver development and ii was my belief, that we have to start
transition of all the stack to these new technology and environment.

	The change to WDK is huge, I trust your testing with x64 & ia64
has been successful?
	[Leonid Keller] We do not support ia64 platform. I believe,
someone will test ConnectX driver on this platform.
	As to x64, we are going to pass the new driver over the same QA
process as the previous (MTHCA) one.

	What modules were exercised in your x64 and/or ia64 testing?

	What version of WDK are you using?
	[Leonid Keller] 6000 for now. The intention is to use the last
available.
	Do you have some recommendation ?

	With the exception of the removal of __ptr64, have the WDK
prompted  file modifications been pushed back into SVN?
	[Leonid Keller] We have just started this way (to WDK). I
believe there will be issues beyond __ptr64 one.
	We are going to show all the patches in the mail list before
committing them to SVN.
	Or i misunderstood your question ?

	What is your timeframe for pushing the __ptr64 removal back into
SVN?
	[Leonid Keller] Two weeks. We want to be sure, that we haven't
added some new bug.

	thanks,

	stan.