[ofw] [owf][patch] user multicast offload support

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Jul 1 09:15:18 PDT 2008

Voltaire has developed the LSP for Multicast Offload. Fast data path will use
this service provider working on IB using ibal.dll.

Original service provider TCP/IPoIB is using to transfer IGMP requests to
Ethernet routers which may be connected to IB host through IPR.

IB join will come from user mode and from IPoIB too. The common place for them
is in the ibal.lib.

To improve performance of HCA on receive path, IPoIB does not issue ATTACH to
the group which already attached from user mode by LSP.

This leads me back to my original suggestion of simply having a parameter on the
join multicast group that indicates if the QP should be attached.  This is way
simpler and moves the complexity of determining when to attach to the ULP, where
it belongs.