[ofw] RE: Release IBA resources in DISPATCH_LEVEL ?

Fab Tillier ftillier at windows.microsoft.com
Tue Jun 10 15:34:44 PDT 2008

Hi James,

> Hi,
>
> My understanding with current WinOF1.2 code is that it can not allow
> drivers to call ibbus to release IBA
> resources(close/unregister/disconnect etc) at DISPATCH_LEVEL.

That is correct - no actions that perform any HW resource state change can be done at DISPATCH_LEVEL, with the exception of allocating/freeing address vectors.

> Will this
> restriction being remove in WinOF 1.2 or any later version? With this
> restriction it will cause a lot of troubles for devices boot over IB.

The HCA driver is what imposes this usage model on the stack, so you'd have to effectively turn the whole call model upside down to fix this.  Pretty much a re-write of the whole stack.  Of course, you could support the IBAL APIs on top of an async lower level, so IBAL kernel clients wouldn't necessarily require changes, but the guts of IBAL and everything below it would need to change significantly.

How would you envision this working?  Would you expect asynchronous operations?  Would you want completions to be notified via callbacks or IRP completions?