[ofw] question on usermode verbs provider interface

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Wed Mar 5 14:06:22 PST 2008

I want to verify if the usermode verbs provider supports opening a CA multiple
times.  Specifically, can the uvp handle multiple calls to pre_open_ca() /
post_open_ca() without calling pre_close_ca() / post_close_ca() in between?

I don't see anything in the mellanox provider that stands out as prohibiting
this, but it looks like ibal only ever opens a device once.

The reason for asking is that I'm considering the following conceptual layering
for winverbs:

winverbs dll -> (existing) uvp dll

winverbs driver

ibal driver -> hca driver

Does either the uvp dll or hca driver assume anything about ibal's operation
beyond implementing the defined interfaces?