[ofw] ConnectX driver code

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Mar 20 17:03:14 PDT 2008

> Xalex has created a version that solves the __ptr64 issues, and can be
> compiled and run using the DDK.
> It has passed many tests, but there is at least one failure.
> After thinking about the problem for some more time, we thought that it
> would be more correct to implement another solution.
> The main reason for that is any solution to the problem is very big
> and involves changes to all components out there.
> Please see attached mail for more details. (Just to make sure the mail
> is talking about the new solution). Any feedback is welcomed.

Can someone provide details regarding the specific problem that __ptr64
introduces?

Only the usermode interface needs to remain untouched if we want to support
backwards compatibility.  Is leaving __ptr64 possible for at least the usermode
components?  IOCTL structures could just use UINT64 in place of any pointers.
And in the kernel, we can just remove the __ptr64 from being used anywhere.

Separating the code into userspace and kernel space shouldn't be much more than
copying all common files into the kernel directories and updating the sources
files.  It should then be fairly easy to search through all of the kernel files,
removing __ptr64 everywhere.  At least on the surface this doesn't seem to be an
overly difficult change, and is closer to Leonid's original proposal.

A more drastic solution is to remove __ptr64 everywhere and only support 64-bit
platforms.  Not sure if this is a realistic option quite yet.