[ofw] address translation

Fab Tillier ftillier at windows.microsoft.com
Mon Nov 3 16:37:51 PST 2008

>> If you see it reported in device manager as an individual device then
>> it is a device instance.  It used to be per port, but is now per pkey
> per port.
>
> This looks like a limitation in the IBAT interfaces then.  I don't see
> how you can relate an IP address to a specific pkey.  I'm just trying
> to confirm that this is the case.

You get into trouble if you assign the same IP address to multiple adapters.  As long as you have a many IP to one adapter instance relationship you will be fine - IBAT will return you a path record, which includes the pkey, if you use the IBAT_MAC_TO_PATH IOCTL.  The IBAT_MAC_TO_GID IOCTL doesn't return the pkey, but could since the information is available when it reports the GID - it just needs to be added to the output parameters of the IOCTL.