[ofw] OpenSM with HPC

Yevgeny Kliteynik kliteyn at dev.mellanox.co.il
Sun Oct 5 02:16:20 PDT 2008

Hi Anatoly,

The OpenSM that you sent has many different SM executions, so I'm
not sure what execution should I refer to. However, I see a lot of
the following errors:

[23:28:03:918][152C] -> osm_vendor_send: ERR 3B28: Unable to create address vector (IB_INSUFFICIENT_MEMORY).
[23:28:03:918][152C] -> __osm_pr_rcv_respond: ERR 1F15: Unable to send MAD (IB_INSUFFICIENT_MEMORY)

Is there a problem with memory on the host?
This would explain why the host freezes.

I'm just trying to understand whether the problem is in OpenSM
(in which case, as we already mentioned, the right solution
would be updating/upgrading WinSM), or in the specific setup.

 > usage of OpenSM goes to ~30MB, cpu usage to 100% and eventually
 > the node freezes and needs to be reset.

30MB is peanuts. Who is eating all the memory?
Do these MPI jobs run from the SM node too?

Also, how do the MPI tasks communicate? What do they use to perform
all-to-all path resolution? IPoIB? Just a thought:
(32 Computing nodes, Quadcore Dualsocket) = 2^5 MPI tasks in each
MPI job, which is 2^10 path resolution queries.
256 concurrent jobs make it 2^16 path resolution queries (~65K),
so if they all try to do path resolution w/o some kind of queries
aggregation/caching, it will keep SM busy with 100% CPU for some time.

-- Yevgeny