[ofw] [ND 3/7] ND:listen APIs

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon Apr 6 12:42:46 PDT 2009

>Reliable connected and unreliable datagram are not the same as TCP and UDP,

obviously - it's the mapping that was chosen to indicate the QP type and port
space from the upper level protocol that was specified.

>For iWARP, it could be TCP or SCTP.  Other hardware types might have
>yet other underlying protocols, or a protocol not defined in the IANA protocol
>list at all.

The only iWarp implementations I'm aware of are over TCP.  You can't arbitrarily
pick a protocol number and expect a specific mapping to exist with the
underlying hardware.  The mapping to the correct port space must be defined.

>Is there any reason the protocol shouldn't be an input parameter to endpoint
>creation, and help define the SID?

The SID definition is a low level implementation detail that should be
considered hidden.  (E.g. it's valid to perform connections out of band.)  The
ND provider simply needs to know from the input 'protocol' field what 'port
space' it requires.  Since winverbs only implements the ConnectEndpoint at the
moment, that's all that's supported.  The ConnectEndpoint shares the same port
space as TCP.

What protocol/port space are you needing mapped, what should that mapping be,
and is that mapping consistent across different hardware/platforms?