[ofw] Which API to use for IB project

Thomas Peiselt dispanser at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 3 05:21:58 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm new to InfiniBand (and this list), and I'm not sure if the topic
is adequate on this list. If not, don't kill me, show me the right way
instead :-).

My task: given two shiny new workstations w/ Mellanox IB HCAs (the
cheap InfniHost  Lx cards), adapt the companies internal communication
library to work over IB - as seamless as possible, as fast as
possible... um yeah, you know, I guess .

I am lost in what a InfiniBand newbie might consider an API / library
jungle: there's ND, WSD, SDP, IPoIB, uDAPL, and WinVerbs. I'm not sure
where to start. I understand that some APIs take zero or almost zero
porting effort (IPoIB, WSD), but do not seem to take full advantage of
all the IB features (zero copy, cpu-bypass).

My question: what approach to chose for an application where packet
size is relatively small (less than 1024 bytes) with the following
priorities:
1. latency
2. cpu load
3. low porting effort to linux compute nodes
4. implementation effort

Latency is crucial, porting / implementation effort is just nice to have.

thanks for any suggestions,

Thomas