[ofw] Which API to use for IB project

Davis, Arlin R arlin.r.davis at intel.com
Mon Aug 3 13:35:52 PDT 2009

>speaking of example code, is there anything in the trunk demonstrating
>the usage of the winverbs api? The docs mention ibv_read_lat and
>friends but I'm unable to find these, or anything else using the
>winverbs header file.
>What about uDAPL? It claims to be a thin layer abstracting
>RDMA-enabled communication from the underlying hardware and the API is
>OS-independent. Additionally, the endpoint state diagram from the
>specification is very close to what we currently have in our tcp/ip
>overlapped I/O implementation. Where's the drawback?

If you are talking user-level, there is no drawback other then the
additional abstraction. It is well documented and the API is
controlled via DAT collaboration. If you want portability and
H/W support that is not limited to iWARP and IB then this is
your best choice. It currently runs on Linux, Windows, and
Solaris with providers for IB, iWARP, Mryinet, Quadrics,
and more. It also offers a choice of CM mechanism's on IB that
offer better scaling then OFA provided services via rdma_cm
or IBAL.

See the following for latest release information
and documentation:

http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/dapl/
http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/dapl/documentation/

-arlin