[ofw] saquery & osm vendor AL - ca_names missing from osm_vendor_t ?

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Tue Feb 3 06:22:48 PST 2009

On 14:11 Mon 02 Feb     , Sean Hefty wrote:
> Forwarding to general list and copying Sasha.
>
> >Hello,
> >  The Windows OpenSM vendor AL struct 'osm_vendor_t' (defined in
> >opensm\user\include\vendor\osm_vendor_al.h) is missing
> >the entry 'ca_names[UMAD_MAX_DEVICES][UMAD_CA_NAME_LEN]'.
> >saquery.c expects to find ca_names in osm_vendor_t.
> >
> >A couple of observations:
> >1) Windows currently supports a much older version of opensm than what OFED 1.4
> >tools expect.
> >
> >2) saquery uses OpenSM mad interfaces while it 'could' be using libibmad
> >interfaces.
> >   If libibmad from saquery, then OpenSM would not need libibmad references for
> >Windows.
> >
> >3) How bad is it to create libibmad dependencies for OpenSM?

Why we need to? Dependencies without reason is not a good thing.

> >4) saquery.c is the only diags pgms (so far) which uses OpenSM MAD interfaces;
> >the rest use
> >   libibmad.

True.

> >Most of the OFED diagnostic tools support the cmd-line option '-C ca_name'.
> >This cmd-line input is resolved thru
> >libibmad interfaces.
> >Saquery is no exception in that it expects to match the '-C ca_name' against
> >osm_vendor_t.ca_names[]. 'ibstat -l' lists
> >CA names.
> >
> >The question becomes how best to resolve the missing ca_names?
> >
> >1) modify saquery to call libibmad interface to get CA names;

That is possible I guess.

> > leaves
> >osm_vendor_t unmodified.
> >   So far, saquery is the only diag pgm which uses OSM mad interfaces;
> >expecting ca_names
> >   in osm_vendor_t.

OpenSM (osm_vendor_ibumad layer) uses this too for port finding/choosing.

> >2) Modify OpenSM vendor AL osm_vendor_t struct to include CA names and populate
> >ca_names
> >   from OpenSM code?

How OpenSM in WinOF choose a port to use?

> > Creates libibmad dependencies for opensm.

ca_names[][] by itself doesn't create such dependencies. For instance
osm_vendor_ibumad.c has ca_names[][] and doesn't have any libibmad
dependency.

Sasha