[ofw] Re: saquery & osm vendor IBAL - ca_names missing from osm_vendor_t ?

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Mon Feb 9 13:16:33 PST 2009

Hello all,
  My initial query, sadly somewhat confusing w.r.t. my confusion of mad vs. umad interfaces, was asking if it is permissible for the Windows OpenSM vendor-ibal to have a dependence on umad?

In order for the OFED saquery to work correctly in the Windows environment, saquery code expects the osm_vendor_t struct to have the embedded ca_names[UMAD_MAX_DEVICES][UMAD_CA_NAME_LEN] definition.
This definition creates two umad dependencies:
  1) #define UMAD_MAX_DEVICES + #define UMAD_CA_NAME_LEN
  2) a umad_get_cas_names() call to populate the osm_vendor_t.ca_names struct.

The current version of OpenSM vendor_umad already has the umad dependency, so it seemed somewhat reasonable to introduce this dependency in Windows OpenSM.

This OpenSM change is considered temporary until such a time as we find a Windows opensm maintainer who has cycles to move Windows OpenSM forward to the current OFED OpenSM code base; Ishai has stated you are unavailable due to other project responsibilities.
Much of Sean's WinVerbs/WinMAD/libmad/libumad Windows work provides the necessary infrastructure to make porting the latest OFED OpenSM much easier.
I see there is an svn branch where someone is working on OpenSM? Any ideas as to what's going on here?

My proposal for the Windows OpenSM code base is to add ca_names[UMAD_MAX_DEVICES][UMAD_CA_NAME_LEN] to OpenSM vendor-ibal definition of osm_vendor_t and a call to umad_get_cas_names() to populate the osm_vendor_t.ca_names struct for.

Comments?

Thanks,

Stan.