***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Re: [ofw] Expose a vendor defined device in ibbus?

Deepak Gupta deepak.gupta at qlogic.com
Thu Jan 29 04:46:52 PST 2009

Leonid,

I understand you might be busy with some other stuff too.

As I already said, this was just a first draft patch and there are no
intentions to move it into the svn repository.
I am sorry, I guess I misled you by asking the question "whether above patch
is acceptable".

This patch was just to show a use case of having multiple child devices
associated with a IOC instead of having a single
child PDO for each IOC.

Plan is to provide a IOCTL interface in ibiou for creation of child devices
and all device information will be passed through device
IOCTLs (and not INF file, in this first draf patch I used INF file for just
POC). So no one has to know the IOC parameters at the time of installation.

It indeed raise the need of a user application which can scan the fabric and
provide list the of reachable IOCs (particularly Port to IOC path, like *
ibsrpdm* and *ib_qlgc_vnic_query* tools on linux do).
I am thinking of providing a IOCTL in ibiou to return the list of reachable
IOCs.
Having a list of reachable IOCs with the user, now user can write a
configuration file describing the child devices (or a GUI to enter the child
device descriptions). This user application will parse the configuration
file and will create the device interfaces.
Also it will record the all these descriptions into registry so that from
the next boot, ibiou will create the devices without the intervention of
user app.

>>    - having configured one node, one has to repeate all this work with
all the others or to prepare and clone the image;

Once a node has been configured with a config file, that can be used on
other nodes too.

>>    - if a new IOC has been added, one has to go through all the nodes and
to change the Registries. It may also require reimaging of all the nodes;

If a new IOC has been added, then yes he would need to make entries into
config file and then user app will take care of rest.

>>    - what will happen during the WINOF package upgrade ? We don't want
user to repeat all this configuration work, do we ?

We will have to provide a versioning on above mentioned device IOCTLs
interface of ibiou. Minimal release changes will not affect the config file
structure and hence from a user perspective reconfiguration will not be
required.

This User Application will help create multiple child devices for ULP's
(SRP/VNIC) and hence much more failover configurations for the user.

My basic question is if we agree to above then I can move ahead for
implmenting above mentioned device IOCTLs in ibiou
and also start doing work on the developing the user application to do this.

Please let me know if you have any further queries on it.

Regards
Deepak

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Leonid Keller <leonid at mellanox.co.il>wrote:

>  Hi Deepak,
>
> Sorry for that late reaction. Could not find time beforehand to look into
> it... :(
>
> I'm not sure, whether the advantages of your patch are worth the deployment
> problems that it can cause (IMO).
> Here are several ones at the first look:
>     - one has to know all the IOC parameters at the time of installation;
>

>         And what if they are yet unknown (IOCs still not purchased) or
> unknown to the guy (he doesn't know what IOC at all is) ?  :(
>     - one has to enter IOC parameters during the installation in some way;
>         Changing INF file is not a convenient way. One has to provide some
> GUI to edit the parameters during- and the Registry after the installation;
>     - having configured one node, one has to repeate all this work with
> all the others or to prepare and clone the image;
>     - if a new IOC has been added, one has to go through all the nodes and
> to change the Registries. It may also require reimaging of all the nodes;
>     - what will happen during the WINOF package upgrade ? We don't want
> user to repeat all this configuration work, do we ?
>
> What do you think ?

>>> earlier. If it finds device(s) in it's list which corresponds to the new