[ofw] why does ibat build so slowly?

Tzachi Dar tzachid at mellanox.co.il
Sat Jan 31 08:21:14 PST 2009

Here is my guess.

IBAT is a user mode component while most of the stack is kernel mode.

When the compiler has to compile it, it looks at a different set of
include files.
This means that it has to read them all from the disk (probably not in
the cache).
The time that it takes to read all the files (seek time of disk) is what
it takes long to compile.

This is also true for other user mode components such as opensm.

So what solution is there? I guess that the second time you build it is
much faster...
Also, if your machine has more memory it should also be faster.