[ofw] port RDS to OFW - request for input...

Richard Frank richard.frank at oracle.com
Wed Jul 22 09:21:35 PDT 2009

We are investigating what is required to port the RDS driver to OFW..

RDS is a kernel mode driver which uses CMA (rdmacm) interfaces.

A general question we are thinking about is whether or not there is a
requirement for a kernel mode cma (rmda_cm) library / driver for use by
kernel mode clients in Windows.

We are looking for input - to see if there is a general requirement for
this
kernel rdma_cm lib and how to build it (what interface should look
like (direct call / IRP)) - or - if we should consider alternatives which
leverage existing kernel interfaces / drivers.

Some alternatives are:

a) leverage existing wvdriver.sys - calling it directly from kernel
(creating IRPs, etc)
and feeding it with required information to complete address
translation, etc..
possibly using kernel mode sockets interfaces..

b) somehow leveraging the existing user mode lib rdma cm (winverbs) via a
user mode daemon which handles requests to perform connection management
operations from kernel mode drivers..

c) work directly with IBAL.. etc..