[ofw] ipoib installation error

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Mar 12 16:45:21 PDT 2009

For quite some time now (1-2 months?), I've been seeing an installation error
when trying to install ipoib.  This is doing the installation outside of any
installer, so I've just been ignoring the problem.  (It could just be an issue
with my system.)  Anyway, it's reached my annoyance level now.

What happens is that I build and copy all drivers and libraries to my target
system (64-bit Server 2003).  The Found New Hardware wizard runs and
successfully installs the Mellanox ConnectX Adapter and Infiniband Channel
Adapter drivers, including the filter drivers.  The Found New Hardware wizard
runs two more times, once for each HCA port to report that it's found a new
IPoIB device.  The installation fails for both of these with a descriptive error
message the like of which may never have been seen before: "a parameter is
incorrect".

At this point, I reboot my system, and the Found New Hardware wizard runs again.
Only this time, the installation of IPoIB is successful.  (I know, weird, huh?)
Note, I've tried canceling out of the first IPoIB install, rebooting the system,
then letting the install run.  This fails.  The only way I can install IPoIB is
to run through a failed installation first, reboot, then try again.