[ofw] crash in mlx4 driver - or maybe it's an ipoib issue?

Tzachi Dar tzachid at mellanox.co.il
Mon Mar 16 01:04:22 PDT 2009

As for the ipoib code: I haven't looked at it thoroughly but the driver
is not ready to handle fatal error of the hw. For example if sends are
being posted on a QP, than there is no way for it to free this memory
unless it reads the completion from the CQ. Changing this is not only
complicated but it also has performance impact.

As for detecting internal errors:
Internal errors can be detected by two means:
1) Reading a value from the hw.
2) A command that is not completed on time.

Both can be caused by sw that is doing a wrong command.

Here are a few quick things to check:
1) What device are you using?
2) Are you using the latest fw?
3) Can you try this with a different card?
4) I have made a checkin that changes the behavior of internal error (in
checkin 2001).
Can you try running before this checkin and after it? I want to see if
it has an influence on the problem.