[ofw] What is the current support level for QoS in WinOF?

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Mar 24 09:14:13 PDT 2009

>I do have urgent time-sensitive traffic, and non-urgent traffic.
>The urgent traffic and the non-urgent traffic is generated from different
>hosts.
>I would like to differentiate them by using different SL, then configure QoS to
>give maximum priority to the urgent time-sensitive
>traffic, and minimum priority to the non-urgent traffic.
>
>Are you saying I can't do this in WinOF?

I don't think the WinOF opensm will support this, but I'm not certain.

>And I can't do that even adding a Linux host that runs opensm (OFED version)?

I would expect that this is possible.

>Traffic separation based on HCA port could be an option, but I need to think
>more about that.
>What can you do with that kind of QoS?

More simply, this would allow you to group hosts into different traffic priority
groups.

>Do you mark this HCA port as high-priority, that HCA port as low-priority, etc?
>What happens when a high-pri port sends traffic to a low-pri port? And vice-
>versa?

There should be rules in the opensm QoS config file that will determine this.
I've copied the general list on this reply.  Sasha, Hal, or someone that deals
more directly with opensm will be able to direct you better.

>What happens when a high-pri port sends traffic to a "normal" port (a port that
>is not marked as high-priority nor low-priority)?
>I'm using only RDMA Write with Imm in my system, although I'm interested in
>what happens on all types of traffic.
>If you know of a document that explains that, please let me know, I haven't
>found it by now.

The OFED opensm includes documentation on setting up QoS.  It's in opensm/doc in
the management source tree.